Tuesday, October 30, 2012

It's not where you work, it's HOW you work, that's important.


My Chair at Work: The Stability Management Machine

Work Cubicle Chair

My very expensive maroon-colored work cubicle chair wants each day to be the same and uses its authority to maintain stability (i.e., keep the established system from changing). I find this chair much too controlling; it thinks that it is the only place where work can be done. It stops me from leaving it to go out for a walk unless it is my break time. It monitors jealously all my movements and whereabouts... a fearful testimony that it knows it could easily be replaced by any other chair, anywhere, anytime... Is control by a chair smart management?


Home Office Chair
This is my black chair in my home office. I bought it on Craigslist for $20. I much prefer this little chair to my chair at work as it doesn't get upset if I walk away for a few minutes when it's not my official 15-minute break time. It understands that things have changed from the 1950s, and even since the '80s and '90s. It's lightweight and mobile and allows me total flexibility. It understands that I can work anywhere, anytime (with or without it). 


This is what some people think working from home is like:
Is she holding a new mini-iPad?
Well, I could do that, kinda, except I don't have a maid servant...



No comments:

Post a Comment