Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Quantifying Soul

I was advised that my resume should show metrics. That I need to quantify my accomplishments.

“What? I need to note quantity as opposed to quality?!”

My success in private industry was measured by how well my creative work enticed customers into purchasing the organization’s products and services. My creative marketing made the business owners millions because my work has "soul". Now, there’s some metrics for you!

Can Soul Be Measured?

Without data, many people don't know how to place value on things or concepts. Soul can't be measured, captured, held hostage, let free, stolen, or lost.. It exists. It is.

In 1907, a Haverhill, Massachusetts, doctor by the name of Duncan MacDougall managed to put six dying people on a bed equipped with sensitive springs, and claimed to have observed a sudden loss of weight – about ¾ of an ounce (21 grams) – at the exact moment of their death. Dr. MacDougall therefore concluded that the human soul weighs 21 grams. This conclusion was published in American Medicine. 

21 grams = the weight of 5 nickels; 
the weight of one hummingbird. 
How much does love weigh? 
How can we measure such things? 
Why should it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment